Recipe to make sweets- Soan Papdi
1 1/4 cup of Gram flour
1 1/4 cup of plain flour
250 gms Ghee or Clarified butter
2 1/2 cups of Sugar
1 1/2 cup of Water
2 tbsp of Milk
1/2 tsp Cardamom seeds crushed coarsely
1/4 cup of mixed flakes of nuts
Preparation Time: 1 hour
1) Sift both gram flour and plain flour together.
2) Heat clarified butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the mixture of flours and roast them on low flame till the colour of flours turn light golden.
3) Keep the saucepan aside to let the flour mixture cool .
4) Prepare sweet syrup . Mix sugar, water and milk in a deep pan and let it boil . Check it after every 2-3 minutes when the mixture starts boiling. For checking take mixture in a spoon and touch it when slightly cool. Rub between finger tips and then try to separate fingers to see how many threads are forming. Bring syrup to 2 1/2 thread consistency.
5) Put off the flame and pour it into the flour mixture. Beat it well with a large fork. You will see the mixture starts forming thread like flakes.
6) Pour the mixture into a greased surface and then roll it to 1" thickness with a knife.
7) Sprinkle cardamom powder and flakes of nuts on the top and then press down with palm so that it sticks with the mixture.
8) Let the mixture cool , then cut into 1" squares.
9) Store in an airtight container.